Get our host, Matthew D. Brough’s latest book, Let God Be Present: Uncovering the Will, Courage, and Persistence to Truly Connect.
Episode 9 of the podcast is with Juno-award winning musician, Steve Bell. This interview was such an amazing experience, recorded in Steve’s own studio in Winnipeg. Steve was incredibly gracious and generous with his time and his honest sharing. Steve shared a ton in this episode, and you can find all kinds of links below that reference just some of what Steve spoke about.
This podcast episode also features several of Steve’s songs, used with his permission.
Below are a few picture of my time at the Signpost music studio. After that are the notes on what we spoke about, some great quotes from the interview, and the links and resources.
Connect with Steve Bell
- Steve’s Website – stevebell.com
- On Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/stevebellmusic/
- On Twitter – https://twitter.com/signpoststeve
- Steve’s Blog – http://stevebell.com/?feed
- Pilgrim Year – http://pilgrimyear.com/
- Latest Album – Where the Good Way Lies – http://stevebell.com/product/good-way-lies-cd/
Some of what we covered in the interview:
- Following Jesus as a Pathway
- Interactions with First Nations People and the effect on Spirituality
- The unhelpfulness of some of Western Christianity’s theological assumptions for our spirituality.
- Spirituality as relationality and grounded in the Trinity
- Reading as Spiritual practice and way in to inner quiet
- Scripture as art
- The role of music and art in spiritual formation
- Kindly guides for understanding art (and spirituality)
- Being deliberate with your Spiritual “diet” to be spiritually healthy.
- “The Bible starts with the goodness of creation.”
- “[You should] read 80% from people who are dead and 20% from people who are alive”
- “If there is this deep relationality that goes beyond words and mere ideas, we need art to get there.”
Links, Resources, and People
- Terry Leblanc, Ray Aldred, Cheryl Bear and North American Institute for Indigenous Theological Studies – http://www.naiits.com/
- Richard Twiss – http://www.wiconi.com/indexa51f.html
- Theresa of Avila – http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=208
- John of the Cross – http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=65
- Edith Stein – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Stein
- G.K. Chesterton – http://www.chesterton.org/who-is-this-guy/
- C. S. Lewis – http://www.cslewis.com/
- Charles Williams – http://www.charleswilliamssociety.org.uk/
- Gerard Manly Hopkins – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Manley_Hopkins
- Godric by Frederick Buechner- http://amzn.to/2qJ9MLs
Get Consistent Connecting With God
So many people struggle with staying consistent in their devotional life. Here are 6 tips I've learned that can help you get back to a consistent time with God. Some are quick and easy, others will take you deeper.
Just let me know where to send it.